Sunday, September 23, 2007

# 14 Run a 5K

Completed September 22, 2007

OK, I'm extra excited about this one for two reasons: 1) it's the first goal I've completed in 'real time' since I started this blog, and 2) not only did I run the 5k, but I got a silver medal!! My team of 5, "Team Jogging Somewhat-ish" (pictured above with our medals: Laurie, Meg, me, Beth, and Tracy) managed to place second in the Women's Over 17 age group.

The race was the Marine Corps Mud Run, and it was awesome. It started pretty normally, but then we ran under a road in a dry creek bed, along the river up to our waist for about 100 yards, through a mud pit up to our knees, up a giant hill, down the giant hill, through another small river, and finally, for the last 100 feet or so, we crawled/swam in a foot and a half of muddy water under ropes to the finish line (see the mud pit here). I've never been so dirty in my life, and it felt great. I had mud in my ears, my nose, my hair, everywhere. We went back to the river to swim and 'wash off', but I don't know how much it helped. We had no idea we'd placed, though we were hopeful of being among the top few. When they announced we got second, we were shocked, but so excited. My teammates really pushed me, and although I was in a lot of pain, I'm glad they did. I think we finished right around 29:15, which I'm pretty excited about- my personal goal was under 30 minutes.

Just because I had so much fun, and because I'm always looking for a new challenge (and 53 more goals!), I'm adding an 8 or 10k to my to-do list.



No comments: