Friday, September 21, 2007

# 4 Go Sailing in the Whitsundays

Completed November 22, 2006

After our residence hall kicked us out at the end of term, I went on a camper van road trip up Australia's east coast from Brisbane to the Whitsunday Coast (about 1000k in 5 days) with (above) Esben from Denmark, Alex from Norway, and Allan from Scotland, all friends from uni. The Whitsunday Islands are a group of islands off the coast of Queensland between Mackay and Townsville, and are super famous for sailing, camping, snorkeling, and generally being paradise. I knew we were taking this road trip but I wasn't sure if we'd make it that far up- although the boys were continuing all the way north to Cairns, I was flying out of Mackay (south of the Whitsundays) for New Zealand on the 23rd. Luckily, we had enough time, so as soon as we got back into cell phone service range the day before (we'd been in 'the bush'), I called and made reservations for a day sail to go snorkeling. We sailed to Heyman Island and snorkeled in Blue Pearl Bay. It was worth driving all night to get there on time- the weather warmed up nicely, the snorkeling was great and now I want my own sailboat. So glad I managed to check this one off the list.

No comments: